I successfully configured our new dual-core server as the proxy server of our computer laboratories. The operating that I’m using was OpenSuse 10.3 and I use Squid as the proxy server for the said purpose. Here’s the things I have done to make this happen:

1. I recompiled the kernel of OpenSuse so that it can utilize the new chipsets of the new servers since the OS can’t detect the Marvell Yukon Ethernet Card (see my previous post).

2. Then, I installed the Squid version 2.6.STABLE14. I even installed the SquidGuard for the purpose of filtering web contents. Last year we’re using SafeSquid for proxy server and web content filtering but this year I decided to use the Squid Proxy so I can try it and explore its functionalities.

3. After that, I open the file /etc/squid.conf then change the some ACL part of the configuration, such as which PCs should be allowed and which should be denied.

4. Then I prepared a list of URLs and domains that should be banned. At first I used the functionality of SquidGuard but I’m having trouble configuring the expression part. SquidGuard is keep on denying access other websites that are not included on the expression so I decided to use the web content filter of Squid using the ACL [acl_name] URL_REGEX option of Squid and specify the path and filename where I store the list of URLs and domains that I want to ban.

5. Then I apply some adjustment on the cache memory (RAM and Disk) to use by the server. I adjust it to make sure that Squid will maximized the use of the server.

That’s it now, were using the OpenSuse 10.3 Proxy Server with a functionality that is the same with our previous proxy server SafeSquid.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *